Monday, May 4, 2009

Sharefest 2009

Sharefest Group Pic (although more people came throughout the day). I'm on the right hand side in the burgundy shirt.

Saturday, May 2nd, I participated in Sharefest 2009! Sharefest is a community organization that puts on one volunteer day each year. Thousands of volunteers from over 80 churches in the South Bay went out to help schools, parks and neighbors in the south bay area. The theme this year was "Leave Your Imprint."

This year, I was involved in 2 sites. I was part of Victory's team originally, but my fellow BASIC leaders, Lisa and Darcy, accepted the challenge of being project managers for the first time, so I wanted to help them out as much as possible.

I ended up getting donuts for both sites. I dropped off donuts and bagels for 40 people at Hickory Elementary in Torrance before heading over to Wilmington Park Elementary. There were 114 people scheduled for that site. I had picked up donuts, bagels and drinks for this site.

My jobs included sign in (help people sign up for a specific project, get them a tee shirt and make sure they knew about the donuts and bagels! I also was in charge of the chair cleaning project. That involved us collecting all of the fabric chairs from the classrooms (these were mainly the teacher's chairs), bringing them to a central location, then spot cleaning and then steam cleaning the chairs. Then we had to take the chairs back to each classroom. I was happy to get to know Christina and Shiloh, who helped me collect the chairs. I also had other helpers such as Amy, Amber (who was very pregnant but still worked!), Brandon, Jan and Sheri and a few others that helped us.

Here is my crew working hard:

A big part of the day at our site was the landscaping job. Mimi headed it up (we were lucky to have a professional landscaper help us) and everyone did a great job!

The final job (that ended at 7pm!) was the painting of murals. Here is one of the two murals that were painted:

Although I was exhausted when I left, I was really satisfied with the work that we did. I really love helping this organization. :-)

1 comment:

Jeremiah said...

Hi Alexis,

I do PR at ShareFest, and we actually put together a blog to tell about some of the things people did during the Workday.

Do you mind if we post part of what you wrote and link to your blog?

You can check out the blog at http://sharefest.wordpress.com/

Thanks.