Monday, May 18, 2009

Tax Revolt Rally #2

I had a very busy weekend! This Saturday morning I woke up earlier than expected (a current trend of mine) so I was able to go walking from Manhattan Beach pier to 22nd Street on Hermosa Beach and back. I picked up breakfast at Jamba Juice (you've got to try the blueberry & blackberry steel cut oatmeal!) and I went home to shower before my hair appointment.

Every time I get my hair done, my hairstylist, Peggy, likes to straighten it. So, I look very different! Afterwards I met up with my sister, Erika, to get our nails done at Nailspa, which we used to frequent when she lived here. Kim, one of the technicians remembered her, even though it's been almost 2 years since Erika's been here. Erika and I had a great time getting pampered and beautified and catching up. Erika had to go to Target afterwards so I went with her before I had to rush over to Marshall's. Boy was he surprised when he saw me!

Marshall and I drove to Corona to Tom's Farm for a tax revolt rally. The traffic was terrible due to the rally so we got there about 4:45-5pm. We walked around, saw all of the very creative signs and then joined the mob to shout "Heads on a stick!!!" which is the mantra of the rally. All those attending are upset at how Sacramento is excessively spending, not being good stewards of the money, they are corrupted by the unions and so much more.

Here are some of the signs we saw:

I really liked this one:

Here is a Arnold Schwartzenegger naked pinata that they let kids take a whack at:
Here is one of the after pictures.

The pinata was filled with paper money. Here is one flying out of the pinata, with a newscopter in the background:

At first, I couldn't really see the pinata activities, so Marshall gave me a piggy back ride so I could take some pictures.

After the rally, we rushed back to his place to quickly change and then meet Erika and my dad at Acapulco's for dinner. This was the first time Marshall met some of my family and it went really well. He seems to fit in pretty well. :-)
Sunday morning we had church at 9am. I was so excited because I hadn't seen Erika's kids yet, or her husband Brian. It was so great to see them all! I've missed them and of course, all of the kids have grown like weeds. Kaylen, who is 16 months old, has grown to double the size of when I saw her for Thanksgiving! After church, Marshall and I to L & L Hawaiian BBQ for lunch (my gosh, they have big portions!) and then we took a look at bathroom cabinets at Home Depot. Marshall is redoing his 1/2 bath.
Then we went back to his condo and watched "Lars and the Real Girl" which we both liked. Very quirky-funny, with a poignant message about courage and loving unconditionally and supporting those in emotional need. Marshall cooked for me again--we had jerk chicken, roasted corn-on-the-cob and carribean rice. After dinner the Hawthorne earthquake hit. The jolt was pretty strong but didn't last long--just 10-15 seconds, but it caused us to jump up from the couch!
I left at about 9 and was so exhausted I barely made it home! I don't know why I am waking up earlier considering my fatigue, but I did it again this morning! Maybe that means I am getting more quality sleep?

1 comment:

Ginny said...

I love hearing about you and Marshall! That's great that you got to see your sister and her family, too! Can't wait to see you soon ...
:)