Sunday, July 5, 2009

4th of July Weekend

This is the first 4th of July weekend since I've worked for HCP where I've gotten the whole weekend off! I did have to stay later than most on Thursday to review several schedules so I could rest easy for the weekend, but beggars can't be choosers!

After I finished up with work I drove to my friend, Nicole's. We went and got Daphne's Greek Cafe food (one of my favorites) and rented "Faith Like Potatoes" which I had heard was a good movie. We ate while watching the movie. Although the movie was good and had a good message, it felt like a very LOOOOONG movie. :-) It was just nice to hang out with a friend.

Friday I slept in a bit before doing my new exercise routine. Then I got ready for the day, did laundry and organized a bit before heading out to PV for dinner. My brother-in-law's brother, Andy, was house-sitting for family friends so he had a few people over for a BBQ. I passed the turn I was supposed to take so I drove all the way up to Crest Road. It was a blessing in disguise because I stopped at a cute lemonade stand to ask for directions and patronize their business. It made the girls so happy! I was glad I could contribute to their entrepreneurial spirit!

The BBQ was a lot of fun. I was able to finally meet Aton, Andy's good friend who I had heard so much about. He was born in Israel and then emmigrated to the U.S. when he was 7. His perspective was interesting to hear about. Some of the conversation was a little heated, but I don't mind that.

The group of us (about 8) played "Would You Rather" which is a fun get to know you game.

The 4th of July was busy! I woke up early to meet Nicole and Lisa at Nicole's parents so that I could know how to get there from the kayak place. Well, I took PCH North instead of south and ended up in Wilmington! So I had to take the freeway again back to where I started! Suffice it to say, I did not make it to Nicole's parent's house prior to kayaking. I ended up just going straight there.

The street where the kayak place was closed off so I had to turn down another which was fine because parking was hard to find. I found a metered parking lot which was a bit of a walk from where I had to be, but I don't mind walking!

We were all supposed to meet at 11am, but we had to send people out at different times because a lot of people were running late. I didn't get in the water until about 12:15! I shared a double kayak with my friend, Stephanie. We were a good team! I've kayaked before and have had a hard time of it, but we were like pros! We kayaked to Naples (canal area of Long Beach harbor reminiscent of Venice) and were pummelled with water from long-range water guns!

After kayaking most of us ventured to the Detjen's for lunch. The Detjen's live in Bay Harbour which is a nice set of houses where a majority of them have slips for boats. The Detjen's own a yacht, so they needed a place to put it, so they got the house!

We had Subway sandwiches for lunch with pink lemonade and potato chips. Kayaking really takes a lot out of you, so it was nice to sit in the shade on their back patio and look at the boats. After lunch a water fight ensued between Lisa, Julia and Nicole and passing boats. Lisa got soaked!

A group of people left after lunch and the "second shift" as Nancy Detjen said, came over. Nancy Detjen and Bryan Johnson played Sequence against myself and Ron Detjen. Ron and I beat them both games. :-) Angie, Gretchen and Lisa Harden came over and brought tons of h'ors deuvres that we all had to fill us up before going out on the boat.

We all piled into the boat to travel to where the Queen Mary fireworks go off.
At first we went into the cabin, but decided it would be more fun to go out on the bow of the ship for the trip there.


Here's Angie, Gretchen and Lisa Harden in the cabin:
Este and Eden want to be the "King of the World!"


From left to right: Stephanie, Nicole, me, Lisa and Julia:

The fireworks how was good. Angie, Lisa, Bryan, Gretchen, Kaitlyn, Amy and Nancy joined us when we reached our destination and we all watched the fireworks show together. Angie started a "claim it" game when seeing which fireworks she liked, so as the fireworks went off you'd hear people say "I like that-claim it!" It was funny.

To end my weekend I am went to lunch at C & O Cucina with my friends Colleen and Liz. We were going to go to C & O Trattoria but the traffic was ridiculous! C & O has these delicious garlic knots that are addictive!


Happy Birthday America!

No comments: