Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Trip to Oxford, Ohio Part 1

I arrived in Dayton, Ohio on Friday, November 6th on time, but I stopped off at the bathroom to freshen up and brush my hair because I had straightened it the day before. I took one last look in the mirror and didn't recognize myself due to the gum surgery I had undergone a few days before.

I wasn't the only one who didn't recognize me. Because I didn't walk into the baggage claim area with a group, John was caught off guard. I had told him that my hair would be different and that he wouldn't recognize me, but I don't think he expected for me to look as puffy as I was and he definitely wasn't expecting straight hair!

When I walked up to him I saw that he was dressed up in a suit and he had a beautifully crafted winter green sign with white cursive letters that read "Wales - Redondo Beach." When he got over the shock he pulled a bouquet of star-gazer lillies from behind his back! They were beautiful and lasted the entire week because there were a few buds that opened during my stay. I wish I had thought to snap a picture of John looking so handsome, but you'll have to settle for the picture of the bouquet:

The next morning, John picked me up for breakfast. We had to go to a few places because Patterson's Cafe was too crowded and the Oxford Cafe was closed down, so we ended up at Bob Evan's, which is like Denny's. John ended up asking an older couple to sit at the 6-person table we were seated at because they too had gone to Patterson's to find it crowded just like we had. Wow, the woman of the couple was quite a talker!

After breakfast, we headed over to his house for a tour. John introduced me to Griffin, his upstairs neighbor's dog that he shares custody of in a manner of speaking. Here is John playing Bite Club with Griffin:

After John showed me his house and we played with Griffin in the backyard, he and I went to Miami University to play disc golf. Disc golf is a combination of golf, in that it has 18 holes, but you use a type of frisbee. John is really good, while I suck big time! :) The exercise involved was great, however, and we walked around most of the beautiful campus while playing!

For dinner, John and I went to a Thai restaurant with Don and Corinne, good friend's of John's. This was the first solid food I ate since Tuesday and it was delicious! From there we went to Jungle Jim's, an international market that John really likes because they sell the micro-brew rootbeer he loves so much. We mainly just perused, but Don and Corinne seemed to do some major shopping!

Sunday I got to experience John's church, Oxford Baptist Fellowship. The service was great and lunch afterwards was fun as well. There were 10 of us at Fiesta Charro! After lunch, Don, Corinne, John and I went to Iggy's Gelato and sat in the warm sun outside while we ate our gelato.

John and I went back to his house to rake the pile of leaves he had in his backyard onto a tarp and we moved the leaves to the curb outside so that the city can come by and suck up the leaves. We had a fun time playing in the leaves!


After our "hard" work, I convinced John to brave laying in his hammock. Looking at the picture I now realize why John was making sure I look at the camera lense instead of the preview screen on his camera after looking at these pictures. I haven't told him about my lovely lazy eye! My right eye is looking in the correct direction but the left one doesn't like to focus all too much! In any case, we had a great time!

No comments: