Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Trip to Oxford, Ohio Part 2

During the week while John had to work, Elan and I drove to various cities in Ohio. Elan now lives in Ohio since marrying Dennis and she wanted to use my time there as a way to get to know her new home state. The first day, we drove to Columbus. We ate a Buffalo Wild Wings for lunch (common place in Ohio) and then we drove to downtown, parked and walked around the city.

Tuesday, Elan and I stayed close to Oxford, running errands, including taking me to the dentist to get my stitches out because they were bugging me! Then Elan and I went to You're Fired, a ceramics place in town. I took longer than I figured I would but it was a good time!
Wednesday, Elan and I went to Cincinnati. We kept commenting how there weren't very many people in town. I found out later that it was because it was Veteran's Day! No wonder! We went to lunch at Izzy's, which is famous for corned beef and their famous side of potato pancakes. That's exactly what I ordered and it was delicious!
Wednesday night John and I went over to the Kidd's (Don and Corinne) for dinner. Their friend, Paul, was there as well. We had a nice dinner and then we played Wii Fit. We had such a blast playing and I figured out that John is a bit competitive, but mostly he's competitive with himself. The only game we played that I did the best at was the counting game-figures! I would love a Wii Fit for Christmas. It's a great and fun way to keep moving!

Thursday Elan and I were allowed at the men's lunch that occurs every Thursday at Haines Dining Hall on the Miami University campus (no girls allowed usually). While I was ordering my lunch on the other side of the lunch room from John, a woman who worked for the cafeteria commented on a man who was ordering a Mad Max (it's a spicy chicken fillet, a couple pieces of pizza in between toast) and asked for wheat toast because "he's kind of a health nut". Haha! The woman was flabbergasted! I laughed and thought "that's John!"

John and I went to Cincinnati on Thursday night and had a fabulous time. We had dinner at a grill restaurant and then we mosied over to the arcade where we played about 5 games of pool (I only won one by default-John scratched) and then we played several "driving" games that made me a bit dizzy and we ended with pinball games.

Elan and I drove to Dayton on Friday morning. We went to the Oregon District which was advertised as a Victorian style area, but it really wasn't Victorian given the tattoo parlor on the main strip. We went to the Oregon Express restaurant for lunch and had their famous pizza, which was pretty good! From there, we went to the Patterson Homestead which was really interesting. We learned about the history of cash registers and how much opposition there was to installing them. Patterson was also an innovator in employee welfare. We then walked around the neighborhood before heading back home.

John came over and we had dinner with Dennis and Elan. It was delicious-both dinner and dessert! We ended up playing Apples to Apples! Fun times!

No comments: