Sunday, October 12, 2008

Alan Shlemon and Stand to Reason ministries

Greetings, my friends!

I just got back home from a very full Sunday. I started my day by getting up and driving to Manhattan Beach to go for a 3 mile walk. I hadn't been to the beach in quite some time so I thought I would do it this morning. Well, it was a nice day for walking and I enjoyed it very much. There was a triathlon going on, so there were lots of people to watch.
After my walk I went home and got ready for church. I went to the 11am service at King's Harbor. I saw a girl, Alex, was sitting alone, so I sat with her and caught up a bit about what's been going on. I hadn't seen her in over a month. I was also glad to run into Sherry, a girl I know who had just gotten back from Mexico and was wishing she could go back.
From church I went straight to Jazz Thompson's house, where he was hosting a luncheon to introduce the ministries of Alan Shlemon and his work with Stand to Reason. Stand to Reason is an organization that trains believers to persuasively, yet graciously share their Christian convictions with anyone.


I've known Alan over 10 years, meeting him through my sister, Erika. Erika is good friends with Alan's wife, Jenn, and Erika's husband is good friends with Alan. Due to this connection, I knew a little bit more about Alan's work with apologetics. He is a generalist, so he talks about a lot of very meaty subjects like homosexuality, abortion, evolution, etc. If you are interested in learning more about it, go to http://www.str.org/.

After almost everyone left, Jazz, Beth, Alan and I had a very interesting conversation about almost everything. Here's Jazz and Beth:

No comments: