Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Best Birthday Gift This Year

I begrudgingly woke up at the crack of dawn on the morning of my birthday. I had to be at work at 7am so that I could leave at 4pm to endure the 2 hour drive to my class in Long Beach. I got there at 7:15am but I figured I would just take a shorter lunch.

To my surprise, I got a call from the Becker review to notify me that class for this week is cancelled! I was so happy that after I got off the phone I did a fist pump and exclaimed, "Yes!" I promptly called my friend, Alice, to see if she wanted to meet me for dinner. Originally we were going to go to dinner on Thursday, but since I was free we decided to meet after my yoga class.

We had dinner at Salt Creek Grille because it is close to my yoga class and they have the best sliders, and Alice knew that I loved them!

Our dinner was a time of indecision, which allowed us to get to know our server, David Spooner, much better! His nicknames are Spooner, Spoony, D. Spoons and he is a struggling actor...or a wanna be actor because he really hasn't started looking officially yet. I mentioned my blog (I jokingly compared my blog--that has 4 followers after 2 years--to my friend, Seller's, month-old blog--that has about 4,500people following him from 9 different countries. I think I should have a goal to double my following population by the end of the year--to a whopping 8. It is my favorite number, didn't you know?


Anyhoo, the sliders we shared were delicious, as was the house salad I had. D. Spoons brought over a lemon cake with raspberry frosting with a candle in it. It was pretty moist for lemon cake (I'm not a big fan of lemon cake but this was good.).


The raspberry frosting reminded me of my first ever birthday cake when I was 8 years old (for those of you that don't know, my parents didn't celebrate birthdays). My sister, Tanya, made the raspberry cake and also brought over flowers. I didn't have another birthday cake until I was in college, I don't think.

I remember that the flowers had Statice in them. Even though they are purple I still like Statice. Here is a picture of Statice, just in case you don't recognize the name (photo courtesy of http://www.fiftyflowers.com/) :


No comments: