Sunday, September 18, 2011

La Jolla Weekend

My friend, Alice, flew down from Walnut Creek, CA to go with me to La Jolla to kayak the sea caves there. Alice is a Chick-fil-a nut...I mean fan, so we stopped at one on the way so I could try a chicken and biscuit. After that we went to Jamba Juice to get their pumpkin smoothies. I'm a fan of both the chicken and a biscuit and the Jamba Juice treat!We ended up going on the 1 o'clock tour instead of the 2 o'clock and we were both glad! Here's Alice waiting for the tour to start. Getting on the kayaks was relatively easy. We ran into a group of leapard sharks that were swimming really close to shore. Don't worry, according to our guides they are as harmless as kittens. The kayaking over to the cliff face was pretty uneventful except one double kayak kept tipping over, but that didn't slow us down too much. The other rescue, on the other hand, did hold us up! The below picture is of the caves that some women got caught in (they came too close and then the waves started pushing them against the cave entrance). There is a reason why these caves are not navigatable via kayaks! One woman had a HUGE bump on her head and both ladies were very shooken up.


While we were waiting our turn to go into a cave, we watched several sea lions in their natural habitat. Here I am lounging about as we waited. Here's Alice, enjoying the kayaking:We almost made it to shore without capsizing, but at only 15 feet to go we both leaned to one side and I wasn't fast enough moving to the right! We both went over, but it wasn't too traumatic. I actually was smiling from ear to ear-it was hilarious! My ziplock covered camera was still safe under the lifevest and I found my chapstick shortly after that!



That night after showering the sand off, we went to Rock Bottom Brewery because it was close and we were both tired. I definitely was tired because I fell asleep before 8pm.


We woke up refreshed and ready to try Brockton Villa Restaurant which was recommended to me by a friend. The food was delicious!

After walking a bit along the shore we made our way back and went to The Cave Store where we paid to walk down 144 steps to the entrance of the Sunny Jim Cave.Alice is ready to take the tunnel down!I'm ready as well. Held on tight to the rails because it was slippery.Woa! Actually it wasn't too bad. Here is Sunny Jim. He was named after a character on a cereal box way back in the day.Alice inside the cave:Some French women took our picture:The day before we were just like that kayaker, peaking in to see the people inside Sunnny Jim's.

Alice and I drove back to L.A. after that and went to lunch at Dolci Vita, which serves primarily German food. I had the schnitzel and spatzle pasta and it was delish! We then went to get our nails done and then walked in Manhattan Beach before I took Alice to the airport. We both had a great time!

No comments: