Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Road Trip from California to Ohio

My last full day in California was busy yet boring at certain times. I waited for Mayflower movers to show up on Saturday January 14th. They were a bit late mainly due to the fact that they had to be on my side of the street so the big truck had to go around to get to that side!

Shelley met me a bit later and her presence helped make the time go a little faster while the movers took my stuff and packed my dishes (I packed the rest of my stuff but I knew they would do a better job at packing the delicates). After the movers were finished, I had to have my apartment inspected by the manager. When that formality was complete, I took Shelley out to a late lunch as a thank you. We went to Daphne's Greek Cafe, one of my favorite places and one I miss now!

After lunch I ran a few last minute errands, including filling up my tank with gas and getting a few snacks for my road trip. For dinner, I met up with Shelley, Angie, Gretchen and Dyanelle at Riviera Mexican Grill. I ordered the chimichanga, per my usual. I was so happy to have my last night filled with good friends.

I stayed at Angie and Gretchen's that night. I woke up very early in order to shower (in order to wake up!) and get my things ready. I woke up without my alarm but Angie heard me get up and she was ready to make breakfast for me when I was done getting ready. It was very sweet of her to be so hospitable and the poached eggs with fruit on the side helped sustain me for the morning. Angie also had a gift bag ready filled with snacks and I was touched that she thought of that! I definitely ate them on my trip. :)

I found it hilarious that the first songs I heard while heading out of California was "California Dreamin'" and "If You Leave." I laughed to myself as I passed over the border into Arizona. My first stop was Holbrook, AZ. I stayed at a Days Inn that was a nice enough room. I was so tired from driving that I went to bed at 8:30pm! I thought this would be good because I planned to wake up at 5:30am to be ready to leave Holbrook at 6:30am. Unfortunately, I was amped up enough to wake up at 2:30am. I figured maybe I could shower and get ready and then go back to bed but by 3:30am I was wide awake.

I called the front desk to walk me to my car and I headed out. It was SOOOOOO dark out! I drove much slower than I would have if it were light because the highways are rolling highways so you can't see if there might be cars in front of you. I got tired of driving in the dark and it was time for breakfast so I stopped at a McDonald's for breakfast. There was a table filled with old men who you could tell were regulars. I finished my breakfast and it was still dark! Despite that, I started my drive again.

Here's a picture of a New Mexico mesa covered in snow that I passed. It was really beautiful.

I drove to Lubbock, Texas that day to visit with my 2 nieces, their kids and their mom. Here are my great-nephew and great-niece, Anthony and Ruby.

Here is my niece, Kristen, with her niece, Ruby, playing with Kristen's phone.
Ruby is a sweetheart.
The next morning I got a homemade breakfast burrito made by Melissa (ex-sis-in-law). She also made me a few to go (which I ate while driving through Oklahoma) and she also made 2 packages of fresh tortillas-hers are the best!
My destination was Springfield, MO. Here I am in my hotel room after having my longest day (over 10 hours!).
The last leg of my trip was the shortest at about 6 1/2 hours. It would have been only 6 hours but a bridge was out. I had to go to a gas station to ask for detour directions. While I was leaving, a man smiled at me and said, "hello." I quickly said "hello" trying not to be rude. His smile seemed to have a purpose. I walked in front of my car and back into my car (I filled up before heading in the little store) and as I about to get in the car the same man smiled at me. I thought he was a creep so I quickly got into my car.
The drive was otherwise uneventful. I arrived at Erika and Brian's in Cadiz, Kentucky around 1pm. Erika had to run errands so we loaded into her car and when we backed up (passed my car) my niece, Rebecca, asked, "Is that a bird in your car?" I responded, "Is it dead?" "Yep," she answered. "Then yes, it is a bird." 200 miles before I arrived there I had run into a bird but I had no idea it was stuck in the front grill! I now understood why that man at the gas station was smiling so widely at me! He was waiting to see if I noticed. You'd think I would, but nope. Here's the unlucky bird:

No comments: