Sunday, November 30, 2008

Cheyenne Mountain Zoo

While I was visiting Colorado, I went with my sister, Erika and her kids to the Cheyenne Mountain Zoo in Colorado Springs. The drive was a very scenic one, with the crystal clear view of Pikes Peak to the north of us. The houses along the way were also very picturesque, little storybook houses.

After going through the admission line, we went almost directly to the giraffe arena. Cheyene Mountain Zoo has the largest number of giraffes in any area, except for the herds in their native Africa. I went and forked over $3 for 9 crackers so that the kids could feed them. The giraffes are located in two pits with our walkway at the height of their neck--their upper necks that is! Just below their long heads.
These giraffe were very excited to see us, no doubt because of the crackers Lauren, Rebecca and Sebastian held out to them. One giraffe stood there, sticking his foot long tongue out waiting for his treat. Lauren was happy to oblige. I worked up the nerve to feed one of them myself. You'd think that I would have no problem with this since my nephew, Sebastian, age 3 had no problem with it. But I was more repelled by the slimey tongues than afraid.
Rebecca's eagerness to get a wipey just proved that the tightness in the back of my throat at the thought of the wet, slimey tongues on my skin was a reasonable response.
After the giraffe's feeding frenzy, we took the shuttle to the top of the zoo, which was created out of an old ski resort, aside the Cheyenne Mountain. We walked down the trail and visited several exhibits. In between one, we came upon a wood sculpture of a grizzly bear. Erika made a comment about how mammoth and intimidating the bear was. Rebecca then, quite decidedly, marched up to the wooden creature and began to hit the statue's crotch area over and over again. Erika and I looked at each other with perplexed expressions. Erika then asked Rebecca what she was doing. Rebecca's elementary response being "He's a baaaaaad bear. So I was hitting him in the privates." Apparently, Erika had many discussions with her children about bad strangers and that if they ever did anything that Rebecca, or any of her other kids, should kick and scream and hit them in their privates. Erika and I chuckled at how Rebecca had so loosely interpretted "stranger." I doubted Erika thought that it would encompass a bear made out of wood.

Erika trying to make amends to the bear after his assault.

We saw the bears in their living area and then it was off to the lion's den. It's no wonder lions are considered the kings of their domain--the air about them is one of majesty. As I met their gaze, it was as if they were asking what one of their subjects had wanted.

The zoo had a fun tunnel for the kids to run under (it was much too small for us adults to venture into). The kids giggled as they entered the mouth of the cave, but were serious when they were in it's dark walls. I could hear Lauren talk of their adventure, as if some ominous thing were to happen. Instead, they came out the other end with glee in their voices and through their smiles.



Next we went to the pony corral for pony rides.

From the excited conversation with her pony guide and the ear to ear grin that Rebecca gave as she rode the pony, it seemed that she enjoyed herself the most of the three kids.
Sebastian, being only 3, had to concentrate a bit more to stay on firmly.

Lauren is completely enamored with horses (and unicorns to be more accurate) so she also had the time of her life, enjoying the ride with giggles and her infectious smile.


We brought our lunches and ate at the eating area provided by the zoo. I got the drinks and the cotton candy that I had promised the kids (personally, I hate the stuff). While we were sitting there, both squirrels and peacocks were scurrying and strutting around us. A woman at the next table alerted us to the fact that a squirrel had jumped right into Kaylen's stroller! Thankfully, it was on the bottom of the stroller, so Kaylen was safe! Erika shushed it out.

After lunch I went on the carousel with the kids. Later I learned this carousel was the 2nd oldest running carousel known to exist!
The last stop was the gift shop where I had to contend with the grifters, i.e. the kids. They scammed me into getting them two things, not just one! I was taken for a ride, man! I'm a big softee that's all there is to it.

We all agreed that we had a wonderful time at the zoo!

1 comment:

PH Ben said...

It looks like you had an absolutely fantastic time. Thanks for the description and the pictures. I miss going to the zoo. Thanks for letting me enjoy one vicariously through you. ;)