Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Mutant

Apparently, I am a mutant. I am here in Colorado Springs visiting with my sister, Erika. My sister, Heather, a registered nurse, is here visiting as well. The subject of sleep apnea came up and we were talking about weight induced apnea (when you get it when you are excessively overnight) and how my brand of apnea has nothing to do with weight.

Several months ago I went to an ENT doctor that told me I have an extra flap that is most likely the cause of my sleep apnea (it covers the airway while I sleep). Heather's medical curiosity got the best of her and she used Erika's odoscope (it is the thing that doctors and nurses use to look in your ears) to look down my throat. The words out of her mouth: "You're a mutant!" Gee, I knew there was something....

After year end, I will most likely get a surgery to remove or snip this flap.

I would include a picture of my throat but I wouldn't want you to run screaming from the computer. It's not everyday that you come across a mutant.

No comments: