Thursday, November 20, 2008

No Strep Throat

I've had a sore throat the last couple of days and yesterday I had the same cottony feeling in my throat that I had when I had strep throat a year and a half ago. You may not know or remember, but what started out as strep throat for me turned into a re-infection of strep throat, laryngitis, ear infections in both ears and bronchitis (all at the same time!).

I went to the doctor this morning to nip this in the bud, if in fact it was strep throat. I was even willing to go through the test (which involves a throat swab). I have a very strong gag reflect (runs in the family) so it is a difficult test for me. I learned today that doing this test while lying down is much more manageable, although uncomfortable just the same.

The doctor came in to give me the great news: I don't have strep! I do have a viral infection, nothing big. It will go away on it's own. The doctor started talking (very passionately) about how you can't treat a viral infection with antibiotics. Okay, I said. He really made me feel like I had to defend the fact that I came in early to check on my throat! I told him just that. I told him that I am normally the type of person that waits until it's really bad (like the last time I had to force myself to leave work to go to the doctor even though it was like swallowing knives every time I swallowed). I did not appreciate being made to feel bad because I came in early--I am not a hypochondriac and I am not the type to want a prescription if I don't need it. He gave me one to treat strep just in case I get worse, although he said I didn't have it. I just don't get it--he seemed very passionate about the fact that doctors over prescribe, but that's exactly what he did!

I decided to stay home today just in case. I'm still working from home as I'm not too bad, but at least I won't deal with the stress of work and potentially getting someone else sick or worse--be a grouch around the office (mainly because of that argument with the doctor).

No comments: