Thursday, January 1, 2009

Happy New Year

My New Year's Eve was a very interesting one. I worked until 5pm and was pretty tired so I went home and was pretty much resigned to stay home, even though my friend Angie had a couple of options available to do the night when you are expected to do something.

I changed my mind when Darcy called and said that I should come to Angie's. Angie lives in a condo and someone was throwing a party in the rec room. Darcy convinced me, so I picked her up and we went to Angie's.

To say this rec room party was the most awkward place to be is an understatement! Darcy kept saying she felt like she was in a Seinfeld episode or that candid camera would come out any minute. We met Angie's neighbors, Paula and Joe, who were really nice so we sat with them and talked. The music got louder and when we looked up there was a 60-year-old woman, wearing a black angora sweater that had white poofy sleeves with traces of silver in them. She started to cha-cha to the music which caused me to giggle and quickly try to hide it. Another grandma, white and grey greasy hair, with huge round glasses got on the dance floor, with the help of her cane, and started to get her groove on as well. All of our eyes grew wide as we saw this sight.

Angie, determined to make the most of this scene, whooped and hollered and persuaded our table to dance. I was the most reluctant, as this sight was so comical, but I acquiesqued. I felt ridiculous!

After the dance we sat again and I kept telling Angie I wanted to go, but she insisted on staying later. Finally Darcy insisted we leave and I was with her. Darcy and I ended up driving to Lomita to go to the Sanchez house. The Sanchez's are a family that go to my church (Henry is an elder) and they were having prayer and worship for the new year. We got there at 11:58 and rang in the new year in their backyard with the poppers and church friends. We ended up staying until 1:30 about, chatting with Nancy (the wife) and Lynnette Matteson, who I know from the children's musical I helped with a few years ago.

It was an interesting night but it ended well. Happy New Year!

No comments: