Monday, December 6, 2010

Pie Experiment

I decided to try my hand at a new type of pie. I decided to make an asian pear pie. I first thought I would try a crisp. I put steel cut oats, almonds, brown sugar and butter in a skillet. I heated the mixture up until it was golden brown. The ingredients:
I love asian pears! I'm not a big fan of apples, but asian pears are crisp like an apple but so much better!
I cut up 2 asian pears and mixed them with the warmed oatmeal/almond mixture.
I added more brown sugar to the mixture, first adding water to the brown sugar.
I bought a pie crust because I was just too lazy to make one!
I rolled it out and cut it into quarters.


I put the filling in the center and then folded one end over.
I used a fork to crimp the edges and then to poke holes in the top for steam ventilation.

The end result was tasty, but a little too nutty for my taste. I think I would switch out the steel cut oats for regular oats to reduce the nutty flavor. And maybe add a bit more sugar! :)

No comments: