Thursday, December 25, 2008

Christmas Eve and thereabouts

You have no idea how difficult this stuff is to cut up into pieces!
Well, I was able to pull off making two more batches of fudge: one peanut butter batch and one chocolate and health bar toffee mix batch. I made one on the night of the 23rd (PB) while trying to make a sausage, egg and cheese (with onions) casserole for my companies potluck. Don't know if it turned out so well, but it was all gone from what I saw!
I left work at 1:30, which was a half hour after I was allowed to leave. I rushed back to my apartment so I could make the second batch so that I could box it up and give it out!!! To keep me in the Christmas spirit (and keep my blood sugar level up) I had a couple shots of egg nog (non-spiked)!
I picked up my nephew, Thomas, to go to Christmas Eve service. I was surprised to see my niece, Kristen, who I hadn't seen in years. I met my great-niece, Kaitlyn, and great-nephew, Anthony, also. Am I allowed to feel old yet?

The Christmas Eve service was great! At King's Harbor we sing lots of Christmas Carols (which I think really speak the truth to our souls) and intersperse it with the scriptures of the birth of Jesus. Pastor Chris spoke, first starting with asking the congregation what they think are nice things of Christmas. After a child said the best thing about Christmas is "giving gifts", Chris said he liked that the girl said "giving". Then he talked about the greatest gift that God has given us, which is Jesus Christ, His Son. It was a great message.

After the service, Thomas and I went to Sammy's Woodfired Pizza for dinner. It was delicious. I drove Thomas back and chatted with him and my brother, Todd, before heading to Nicole and Lisa's for game night.
I had a great time! First we played Sequence, which was a really fun card game that I had never played before. Nicole (who is pretty competitive) won both games. Then we all decided to play Scene It. It took them awhile, but Nicole, Darcy and Adell won the game against Lisa, Bryan and myself.
Here's me, Lisa, Darcy, Nicole and Adell.

Here's Bryan lounging on the floor--subconsciously segregated from the women!

In order to try to get better at the All Play rounds, Bryan stood up so he could be more competitive:

At the end of the night, we were all talking about Christmas traditions. Darcy talked about the pickle game, a German tradition. No one besides myself had ever heard of it. It's a pickle ornament that is hidden and whoever finds it gets the last Christmas present of the day. Darcy joked that she probably would have gotten a weird look and a double-take from Pastor Chris if when he asked about nice things about Christmas, if she had said "I like the pickle!" Darcy also mentioned peppercocker cookies--yikes! Another item that she shouldn't mention in church.

;-)

No comments: