Friday, February 20, 2009

Uvulopalatopharyngoplasty

Yep, that's what it's called: Uvulopalatopharyngoplasty aka apnea surgery.

I went to a new ENT doctor (Ear, Nose and Throat) on Tuesday and he gave me the go-ahead to have the apnea surgery on March 10th. Although I am really excited (I've had my CPAP machine for 9 years this April and this will give me a high likelihood of not using it anymore), I am also a little nervous.

The surgery entails removing the tonsils, adnoids, uvula (which I hear is the most painful part), and part of the soft palate. I also have excess tissue that will be removed as well that is common for apnea patients to have but it would look weird compared to other people ("mutant" is what my sister, Heather, said). But according to the doctor it is normal for an apnea patient.

Dr. Rice said that some people can bounce back and go back to work within 4 days but an old college friend of mine, Tara, regaled me of the story of when her husband Mario got it done. Gulp. I think ignorance is bliss.

Even still, I would be happy to go through a few weeks of pain and discomfort in the interest of getting rid of the CPAP. I do not like relying on a machine in order to get a good night's sleep. Back in April I was visiting my sister, Andrea, and her family and my CPAP broke (it was pushing air out at hurricane level). I couldn't get a new one while I was out of town so I didn't get a good night's sleep the whole time I was there. I had to take a sick day after I got back in order to get a new CPAP machine and to catch up on almost a week's worth of sleep!

Please pray that the surgery is successful and that I have minimal pain and recovery periods. Thank you.

2 comments:

PH Ben said...

That procedure is a mouthful, or rather an ear, nose and throat-ful. ;) Prayers are definitely on your way.

Ginny said...

I'll be praying! Got the date on my calendar and I'll be sure to check in afterwards. Is anyone going to stay with you during your initial days of recovery?
Love,
Ginny