Sunday, February 1, 2009

Pet Peeves

Yesterday at about noon, I went for a walk/run at Manhattan Beach to take advantage of the beautiful day we were having. I went from Manhattan Beach pier to 22nd street on Hermosa Beach and besides my lower extremities feeling pretty fatigued, I felt good.

From Manhattan Beach pier, I have to walk up two streets and over one before rounding a corner to get my car out of the public parking garage. I was content listening to my Ipod and cool down from my workout. I rounded the corner only a meer 1/2 block from my car when a couple started walking towards my direction on the street.

One of my biggest pet peeves is when people are too self-centered to think of anyone else's needs above their own--this is quite evident when you are walking along the sidewalk of a street. I waited (not very patiently) for the young woman to walk single phile behind her boyfriend, but she didn't. If I were to move, I would have had to step up on a retaining wall to get out of their way, even though I had the right of way on the right side of the side walk.

I got very angry and yelled "Single Phile!!!!" at the girl before stomping off to my car. It really ticked me off, but I had to ask myself, why did I get so mad? My friend, Lisa, at dinner that night said I was trying to impose my beliefs on others. It is true, but is it unreasonable to impose politeness and consideration? Of course, the manner in which I was trying to enforce this consideration was pretty rude itself.

Today I went for a similar walk/run along Manhattan. The same situation where people were not moving happened several times today. Instead of yelling at people, I just continued to walk on--even if they were in my way. Not really much improvement, but I couldn't step out of the way even if I had wanted to and they are the ones that should be moving. Sigh.

I had to really take some time in church last night to just calm myself from Saturday. I found a really lovely piano lullaby by Yiruma that definitely calms me so I listened to that a few times before service started.

After service a bunch of people went to El Tarasco for dinner. We all had a good time.

No comments: