Tuesday, July 29, 2008

A whole lotta shaking going on!

Around 11:40am California experienced a 5.4 earthquake, that had an epi-center of Chino Hills. For those of you from other areas, it is northeast of Los Angeles. I was on the phone with my sister, Erika and just told her "Op, we're having an earthquake. Gotta call you back." All of my staff made a bee line for the door, but it was pretty minor so most people rode it out. Our building swayed for a long time, even through the actual earthquake only lasted 15 seconds. We lost cell service for little bit, but it wasn't really too bad.

The Northridge earthquake, back in 1994 was the only earthquake that scared me. It was a 6.7 and I felt it all the way in Fullerton (50 miles away). I was almost impaled by an iron that fell from a high shelf. You can bet I keep heavy stuff low since then!

This quake is just a reminder to be prepared. I need to get more bottled water and store it in my apartment, along with food, flashlights and a first aid kit.

Hope everyone in California wasn't too rattled!

1 comment:

Ginny said...

We immediately thought of you when we heard about the earthquake! I'm glad everything was ok--but that's so scary that your building was swaying!

I love your blog!! It's about time. :) It'll be so good to keep up this way. Thanks for following our trip to Malaysia!

Love you!!