Sunday, August 3, 2008

Rollerskating

To add some excitement to my life, I bought rollerskates this week. I used them briefly in the store, but today was the first day in probably 15 years that I really went out there and did it. The last time I had done it was with my college roommate, Lynn, on a windy fall day. It was a lot of stopping and starting for me (the rollerskater) because the wind had kicked up a lot of twigs and rocks. Lynn was on rollerblades, so her independently suspended wheels had no problem going over the obstacles.

Because of that experience, after college, when I was in Boston, I bought rollerblades thinking this would help me. Much to my dismay, it did not. For the life of me (and of others) I could not use those blades!!! I had to yell for people to get out of the way when I was on them!

So, I decided to get reacquainted with rollerskating this time around. I thought I was being smart by driving to Manhattan Beach at 7am on a Sunday morning thinking hardly anyone would be around. Well, I was surprised to see quite a few more people than I had imagined to potentially witness my humiliation.

I put my skates on right next to the bike trail and was on my way. I was quite spastic at first, but I started getting a little more comfortable. One thing I realized, which I think is partly due to getting a little older, is that you really need strong ankles for this! My ankles ached almost immediately, so I had to rest a few times. Rollerskates are pretty heavy and it takes some practice picking them up.

I turned around at the end of Manhattan Beach by whipping around and sitting on a retaining wall. This would have been slick if I didn't have to stop with a hard plop on my rear. My first thought, "Well, there goes a bruise!" But I hadn't fallen so I was feeling pretty good.

The way back was a little easier, but being on skates, I still had to navigate the cracks of the strand cement segments. All the while thinking "Step on a crack, break your mama's back." How's that for putting on the pressure.

Finally I was coming up on the end of my trial run. Only a few more glides....only a few more glides....that's it...wham!!! My arms went flailing and my right foot went up and suddenly I hit hard on the cement. Only a few feet to go and I had fallen!!!! At least I had only fallen once, I consoled myself.

A guy asked if I was alright and I smiled and said I was fine. So, I turned around and got up and immediately put my regular shoes on. I walked up the steep hill at the pier giving myself a peptalk--not bad for not doing it for 15 years. My right hand hurts, however. Backside is fine for now--good thing I have padding!

I'm still happy because I tried something new (well, not new for my life but new in recent years) and that even though I was only out there for a half hour it was quite a workout!

No comments: