Monday, September 28, 2009

Trip to Poulsbo

Thursday of my trip to Seattle, I went with Erika and her family to Poulsbo, Washington. Poulsbo is a Norwegian town south of Seattle.

Here are the kids posing next to a cute fountain:
We arrived at lunchtime, so we ended up walking through town and finding a pizza place because there were no Norwegian restaurants in the town, which baffled us. After lunch we walked down the main street and looked in several shops.

Here is the Nordic Coffee Shop--this must be an ancestor of mine--my grandmother was Norwegian.
The Nordic Maid was the main Norwegian gift shop. Here is a shirt we all got a kick out of:
We also got the scoop on what the big deal is about trolls in the Norwegian culture. My grandmother had two trolls sitting on her windowsill. I inherited them and recently found them. Trolls were a means for Norwegian parents to get their children to be good. If they weren't good, the trolls would get them!

We walked over to the water way, which had a nice little park laid out. The kids needed to run around a little bit.
Kaylen is so cute!
Here is Lauren posing with the Nordic statue:

One of our last stops was at Sluy's Bakery.

Sluy's sells traditional lefse, which is a flat bread made with potatoes and wheat. It looks similar to a tortilla, but has a nuttier flavor. Traditionally, you heat them up and slather them with butter and cinnamon & sugar, or you can use butter and brown sugar. Yum!

Of course, Sluy's sells other wonderful pastries, which took a lot of willpower on my part not to devour.

After Poulsbo, it was time for the ferry.

The Steip Family on their first ferry ride together:
Of course, Brian had to do the Titanic/Leo DiCaprio impression of "I'm the King of the World!"
Here is Sebastian's impression:
I love this next picture. Lauren took it and another one that was similar. But after the picture was taken, she said (very loudly, I might add) "But your hair is sticking straight up!" I couldn't help but laugh!
Awwww, the girls being lovey-dovey on Auntie Alexis's back:
I was so tired because I had insomnia the night before so I let the kids play on me:

Here's Rebecca playing Patty Cake on my cheeks:

Most of the pictures I have of the skyline were taken by my nieces (I am very impressed!):

No comments: