Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Courage and God's Presence Through Struggles

Lately, courage has been a theme that has popped up in my spiritual life. Doing the right thing can be difficult when there is a lot to lose. First, I received a very poignant email from my friend, Seona, who I admire for her focus and devotion to Jesus.

Additionally, I read a devotional book called "Breaking Free" by Beth Moore most mornings and recently I came across this entry:

"Immediately Jesus spoke to them. "Have courage! It is I. Don't be afraid." Matthew 14:27

When Jesus spoke these words to His disciples while walking on the water, the storm continued to rage. The point is not that we have nothing to fear, but that His presence is the basis for our courage. No, Christ does not always calm the storm immediately, but He is always willing to calm His child on the basis of His presence.

"Don't worry!" he says. "I know the winds are raging and the waves are high, but I am God over both. If I let them continue to swell, it's becasue I want you to see Me walk on water." We'll probably never learn to enjoy our storms, but we can learn to enjoy God's presence in the midst of them.

This devotional totally let me see my struggles in a different light! Although I may not like the struggles I have to face, I know that my God is with me throughout it, even if I don't feel his presence constantly. And at the end of the dark, long tunnel, I will see God as He truly is: My Creator, My Redeemer, and the Lord of my life. I know I will be in awe of the great work He has in store for me.

I love Beth Moore as she often points out the amazing things that are staring me in the face, but I don't see them!

No comments: