Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Cog Railway


Saturday, my bro-in-law, Brian picked me up about noon to head over to Manitou Springs where they have the Cog Railway, which takes you up to the summit of Pike's Peak. We arrived there without a reservation so we had to take a number. We had about 45 minutes before they called our number so we grabbed lunch at the cafe. I had a trusty hot dog. Gotta love 'em!

The front end of a cog train was displayed next to the eating area downstairs.

While we were waiting outside the ticket office for our number to be called, I started chatting with a woman from Mufreesboro, Tennessee! I've actually been there and to the Nashville area so we talked about the sites around there and I actually gave them a tip for the best BBQ in TN.

Brian and my number was called and we were able to get seats right across from each other. The couple from TN were able to go on too but they had to sit apart. I was glad we were able to sit together.



Look at how excited Brian is to be on the train:

I took as many pictures as I could of the beautiful scenery before my battery went dead. I thought it was hilarious because we'd be guided to see a site and I would have to tell Brian "take a picture please". He said he did so much hiking at the Hume Lake area that nothing seems picture worthy! Me, I take a picture of everything! We were sitting next to a family from Texas and each member of the family had a camera!

When we arrived, I suggested to Brian that he run into the gift shop and get the world famous donuts they sell there, as he had promised my sister and the kids some. I borrowed his camera to take pictures of the gorgeous view. On a clear day you can see Kansas on the horizon!

I met Brian inside where we both picked out "Got Oxygen" tee shirts--one for me and one for Erika. For Erika, it is very ironic since she has severe altitude sickness and literally does not have oxygen, especially not at 14,110 feet! When we finally left the shop, we barely had time to have a couple take our picture near the Pike's Peak sign. Of course Brian wanted to see the view and take pictures, but he had to hurry because the train was boarding! If you miss boarding time, they leave without you! It is a long way down!
Here are some great pictures of the view:



No comments: