Monday, August 17, 2009

Denver Zoo

The Thursday I was in Colorado, we went to the Denver Zoo. It was interesting because some of the animals weren't even well protected (or I should say that we weren't protected). This cheetah was in an enclosed area, but it was not fenced off where we were! Erika got really nervous because of the kids so we moved along to the next exhibit.


The lions were more isolated, but they laid up against the observation glass:
The Conservation Carousel was our next stop. I took Sebastian, Rebecca and Lauren. Erika stayed with Kaylen who felt cheated because she couldn't come along. It was sort of a stressful experience only because I had to get the kids to agree to be on the same row so that I could hold on to Sebastian and Rebecca AND have Lauren close by! But it worked out. Sebastian was on the Wild African Dog, Rebecca on the Tiger and Lauren was on the camel. At first I was disappointed for Lauren that the camel didn't move up and down, but at least I didn't have to worry about her falling off. I'm not normally a worry wort, but I didn't want to have her get hurt. She's a big girl, so I had nothing to worry about!

To make ir up to Kaylen for her not going on the carousel, we took her on the train that went around a good amount of the zoo. She really had fun! She just loves birds. During lunch she would stand up in the stroller and say "Bird! Bird!" On the train she got extra excited about the flamingos in a pond. I'd post a picture, but she doesn't look too happy in the train ride pics even though she did enjoy it--I swear!

After the train, we went to the covered wagon that is being pulled by giant plastic oxen. The bed of the wagon was really high up, so I got my arm workout lifting up the three oldest kids. Lauren was the only one brave enough to go on the back of one of the oxen. She is the biggest so it's not surprising--it was high up!




Shortly after that it started raining so we headed for the gift shop. I ended up getting a pink and purple snow globey ring for Lauren and Rebecca respectively and a monkey that grows in water for Sebastian. All the kids got a kick out of that one.


No comments: