Friday, March 12, 2010

Contract Job

This morning I had a phone interview with a manager that was looking to hire a contract worker. The interview was almost an hour long and I felt really good about it when I got off the phone. This is the first position I have been excited about since September.

I got to studying to try to finish my homework (I only had one class this week so I have focused on finishing my last course's work and doing the class work for the new class...another words, I was behind a bit and I was a little lazy this week). I studied until about 2, waiting for Andrea so we can go for a bike ride.

Andrea's old roommate has two beach cruisers that we borrowed. Okay, I hadn't ridden a bike in 10 years. The last time I rode one was when I borrowed a mountain bike for the sprint triathlon that Jamie and I did while I lived in MA. I'm pretty sure I was 25...just barely.

I was very shaky starting off. I made sure to test it out in the alley behind the apartment to make sure I was safe to ride in public! It is just like riding a bike-ha-but it wasn't like I am going to join Lance Armstrong anytime soon!

We started in Hermosa and rode the bikes all the way past Dockweiler Beach in El Segundo (about 8 miles one way) and back. We came back, dropped off the bikes and I was able to meet Andrea's old roommate, Nicole, and her brother, Steve. We had a pleasant little chat and I relayed my inability to ride a bike with a steady flair...I did almost end up in an ice plant--but alas, disaster was averted!

Andrea and I stopped in at Jamba Juice for a refreshing drink before heading home. I had received a message from Lindy, my recruiter, so I called her back and I found out that I got the contract job! I start March 29th and the contract job will last until December, so that is 9 months of working! Yay!

Although it will be more difficult to study, I will just adjust my schedule and study at night or on the weekends...it is manageable. Besides, working also gives opportunity to receive my certification (while making an income) and by December, I will have my CPA and be more marketable for a permanent job. I will also not lose any of my accounting/system/spreadsheet skills while I am studying. :)

After I heard the news, I went and celebrated with my friend, Alice. We went to Fusion Sushi, then to Skinny Minny Frozen Yogurt, and then we rented a movie from Red Box (my first time doing that). I'm very blessed to have such good friends in my life.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!!!,, you are definately blessed!

marathon swim said...

I hope you have a great experience there! Good luck, Melissa
P.S. check out my blog too. see my profile on FB.