Thursday, March 12, 2009

Post-Op Experience

Most people have told me that they do not feel a passage of time when they go in for surgery. Although I have no memory of being wheeled out of the O.R. or anything, I was aware that some time had passed, I just didn't realize how much exactly.

I was semi-conscious for about a half hour and the nurse noticed that I was moving around a little bit but my eyes remained closed. My head was quite itchy for whatever reason so I kept scratching it. I had the energy for that, but I still could not bring my eyes open.

Finally I was able to crack them open and the nurse took the opportunity to ask me how my pain was from a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being the most painful. I was able to answer, in an extremely scratchy voice "Six." She nodded her head and gave me some more pain meds. She gave me liquid Vicadin, Larpral it's called or something like that. This stuff knocked me out for another hour! I was out of it, for most of the time, but I would go in and out of consciousness frequently--still needing to scratch my head!

Scotti had gone out to get my prescriptions while I was in recovery, which was very nice and convenient so I wouldn't have to wait in the car or anything if she had gotten it after I had been excused from the hospital. When she arrived back the nurses said I was ready to go, but Scotti looked at them inquisitively as I looked like I was ready to stay in bed all day. They assured her that I would wake up.

I had been given water and several lemon-flavored mouth swabs that stung (which I found out later was because I had gotten a tiny cut on the side of my mouth from having my mouth open during the surgery). Before I could leave I had to take a trip to the rest room.

Scotti helped me dress and we walked across the room. This was difficult for me since I had been lying around for several hours and my legs felt like mush, but I leaned on Scotti and I was able to make it.

We walked back across the recovery room to get my things, which included my jacket and a packet of those lemon swabs for the trip home. My mouth felt extremely dry. In fact, I didn't feel nauseous on the way home in the traditional sense, but Scotti had brought a pot just in case and I held onto it, but I only felt unsettled because my mouth was dry. I just kept swabbing it and I was able to make it back to Palos Verdes where Scotti's house is.

I went straight to bed and I slept off and on that day. I did wake up to take my medicine (I have Tylenol with Codeine and an antibiotic that is supposed to be strawberry flavored but tastes like mangos to me) and I ended up having a few hours here and there where I was awake but not well enough to get up. So I read "The Last Lecture" by Randy Pausch. It was a good book with a lot of good lessons. I had so many ice chips, it is unbelievable! They help reduce the swelling.

Everytime I would wake up, it seems like I would find another electrode that they left on my body from the surgery. They are throwaway electrode stickers, but it was like a hunt to find all of them, especially when I would come across them when I was only half-awake. It's amazing how much energy it seemed to take for me to peel them off.

Wednesday I had enough energy to shower and that made me feel so much better, you have no idea. I was expecting to have so much more pain, as Dr. Rice had said the day after surgery would be the worst day. That Tylenol with Codeine must do the trick for me because I felt pain, but it was managable. I layed on the couch most of the day, watching "Australia" and "The Majestic". I had ice chips most of the day, but I was able to have a few popsicles.

I felt well enough to sit with Scotti and her husband and one of her sons for dinner, although I ate a popsicle instead of a real meal. There is no way I can have regular food. I am on a soft food diet for 2 weeks and even yogurt seems too thick for me to want to swallow. We'll see how I feel.

Today my throat was in more pain than the day before and I am more fatigued. I've been keeping up with the ice chips, which help to keep the swelling down. It feels as if there is something in the back of my throat but that is just the swelling. I felt very weak this morning, but I figured it was that I hadn't had anything to eat, so I had a raspberry flavored popsicle and felt better.

I'm going home tomorrow. My friend, Stephanie, will be coming to help me home. I'm not sure if I'll be up to driving so she'll either drive me or she'll follow me home. We'll see how I feel.

I really feel that I am blessed by so many people who have offered to pray for me. I truly believe that is why I am doing so much better than expected. I am still tired, so I'll be heading to bed soon.

No comments: