Saturday, March 7, 2009

Tax Revolt 2009 Rally

Today I met up with my friend, Angie, and her friend, Paula, to drive to Fullerton (about a 45 min. drive east from where we live) to attend the Tax Revolt 2009 Rally by the Slidebar Cafe.

It was a miracle that we were able to find a parking spot--the traffic was crazy and there were limited spaces so close to the rally. According to the police, an estimated 10,000-15,000 protestors attended the rally.

Angie and Paula had created the greatest signs for us the hold up. One said "Turncoats" with cutouts of coats and teabags taped to the banner and the other one said "Terminate the Terminator!" There is an effort here to recall Schwartzenegger.

Here we are exercising our 1st amendment right!

There were so many creative signs that people brought:

This person took old movie posters of Arnold and changed the names from "Last Action Hero" to "Lip Action Zero". It also has a fake pig's head stapled to it with money sticking out of it's ears and snout.
This crazy picture was the biggest sign out there:

This one was my favorite, even though I couldn't get a full shot of it. It says "Americans: believing and achieving not deceiving and receiving" So true!

Protesting is hard work because I was starting to get back pain, so I had to sit on a curb to rest it. Because my back was hurting, I decided to brave weeding my way to the outer area through the crowds. After about 10 minutes, I finally made it to the outside where I found several informational booths as well as fun and games booths.

Here is the Political Trader Shoe Toss:
The original campaign was called "Heads on a Stick" so that is what you are seeing here. Arnold, however is skewered by the Conan the Barbarian sword. He's special. ;-)


Here is the Flush-a-Nator, where people went in, sat down and got soaked!


This is a game where you have to try to get over the hump (of taxes) without having the bowling ball come back!


Saw this guy on the way out:

We heard later, he was beheaded with the sword.


Here we are

No comments: