Saturday, March 14, 2009

Soft Diet Experimentations

My doctor put me on a soft diet for two weeks after my surgery. Initially I was able to eat much at all. The day of surgery I didn't eat anything. The next day only a few popsicles. I've been craving more savory dishes (i.e. not sweet) but the only thing that I've been able to really tolerate are eggs.

I have tried a few things, thinking they would work out. I had my bible study over yesterday to hang out which was a lot of fun. I was starting to feel very isolated, so their visit cheered me up. I served Trader Joe's spinach and artichoke cheese dip which is delicious. I tried it, thinking "hey, the dip is soft, I can have that". I didn't realize that it's not just the softness of the food that matters. That dip had some spicy bite. I am a spice whimp, so it surprised me because I had never noticed any spice before, but the dip made my throat burn.

Prior to everyone coming over I tried baked beans, thinking that the beans would be soft enough. They were, to a point (although I had to chew more than my mouth wanted to) but the sauce burned my throat as well.

This morning I thought I would be safe by having a banana. I sliced the banana and put it in my magic bullet blender with some lowfat milk and a little sugar. I could only handle two spoonfuls of it because it burned my throat something awful! Who knew banana's were acidic!

I had to go to the bank today to set up my bank card (I was given another one and wasn't able to go to the ATM before surgery). That trip took a lot out of me. I went to the bank ATM, then I went inside to get some quarters because I will need to do laundry before I go back to work and I didn't have any quarters left.

Once my ATM card was working I was able to go get gas for my car. Never realized how dependent on my bank card I was! Target was next door so I took advantage and went straight to the concession area and asked if I could fill up on chipped ice. I need the ice to reduce the swelling. While I was there I got a new laundry basket (mine broke a week or so ago).

I was starving by the time I got to the grocery store where I bought more pudding (which I seem to be able to tolerate). I wanted to get this flavored ice I've seen before but they didn't have it so I'll just have to get out a hammer to chip the ice I have in my freezer. :-)

The trip took me several hours and I went straight to bed after eating a pudding cup since I had left the house after attempting the banana shake without luck. I'm still very tired, but I'm managing okay.

No comments: