Wednesday, March 11, 2009

UPPP Surgery Experience

Yesterday I had the UPPP surgery. I stayed over at Scotti and Rich Steip's on Monday night because we (Scotti and I) had to leave at 7am to get there by 8am, for a scheduled surgery time of 10am.

Traffic wasn't too bad on the way there, which was fortunate for us. Right after we got there, my sister, Erika called me and the kids each individually prayed for me and Erika ended the prayer for my quick healing. It was really sweet. Erika's children are such prayer warriors!

We didn't have much of a wait before I talked with the surgery clerk, who went over my costs for the surgery and other odds and ends. They put a medical/hospital bracelet on me and had a guy lead me and Scotti up to the 4th floor pre-op room. I had to get changed into the hospital gown and then I talked to the pre-op nurse who asked me a ton of questions.

I felt really confident in Dr. Rice (who was performing the surgery) because several nurses asked how I was referred to him and confirmed that he is the best surgeon in the area.

I then talked to the attending doctor who went over the surgical procedure with me again so that it was apparent I was well informed. Next was the anesthesia doctor, Dr. Daniel, who was a nice older gentleman who sort of reminded me of the quaker oatmeal guy (can't remember his name) but with whiter hair. I also had a chat with his attending who had a cute ladybug patterned surgery cap.

Finally Dr. Rice was out of the surgery right before mine and we chatted for a bit. He told me I'd have a blazing sore throat for a couple of days but that I shouldn't try to be a hero. It doesn't heal faster without the pain meds.

The anestheia attending and the surgical nurse wheeled me to O.R. 24. On the way, the attending asked if I wanted some "happy meds" on the way. I said "Sure." She asked me to tell her when I knew it was working and I answered "Well, I'm smiling for no apparent reason so it must be!" We arrived at O.R. 24 where the attending surgeon and the anestheisologist were already prepping. I said a prayer before I moved to the operating table and realized Erika was right--it is a very thin table!

As they strapped me in and attached electrodes to me, they discussed Avalox, the antibiotic that gave me hives a few years ago. They were discussing how they wished all these drugs were generic so they didn't have to figure out what these fancy marketing names really meant! Then the anestheisologist commented that I had very fair skin and that's the last thing I remember!

I'll post how post-op was tomorrow. It's medtime which means bedtime!

No comments: