Saturday, January 16, 2010

Feeling Better

Whelp, yesterday was the day from hell. Well, okay it wasn't that bad, but it was close. My doctor had given me a prescription for vicodin. I was in a lot of pain so I decided to take it, even though I generally do not like to take any medication, especially ones that make me really loopy, which had been my experience in the past.

I took the pill at 9pm, but I didn't feel it's effects for two hours. That's when I was dizzy so I went straight to bed. I slept for about 5 hours before I woke up nauseous and went to the bathroom where I sweated profusely-I've never sweated so much in my life. My body did everything it could to get rid of the toxins without my throwing up (which I was glad of...those of you who know me well know that although there isn't anyone that likes the experience I REALLY don't like it so much that I had an 18 year streak of avoiding it). Anyway I went back to bed and slept another 4 hours or so.

I ended up texting my friend, Shelley, my experience and asking her if it was the same. She said it does make you nauseous. I told her "at least I didn't throw up." Famous last words! Only a few minutes after I sent that text, that's exactly what I did-drat!

But I did feel a little better, but it zapped me out where I didn't have any energy to do much of anything. Of course, that was partly due to the fact that I hadn't eaten anything. I called my sister and while I was talking to her (so I would be distracted) I forced down a half a bowl of oatmeal so I could take ibuprofen. I took 600 mg and it wasn't helping the pain. I realized two things: 1) I thought I had an infection in my teeth because I've had them before and I recognized the signs and 2) Aleve works much better for me with the pain. So, I called my doctor's office to get a prescription for antibiotics and then I took some Aleve, which did help a bit.

The doctor called in a prescription for a Z-pack (5 days of antibiotics) but I had a dilemma because I was too weak to drive. I called friends that were closeby but they were either sick too or were still at work or just didn't respond. Finally, Shelley got off work and offered to pick up the prescription--Hallelujah! The pain was so bad I couldn't even eat yogurt. I was able to walk from my bed to the couch, which was good.

I took the pills right away when Shelley arrived and by the time I went to bed the pain was much more manageable! I was still awfully fatigued but I got a good night's rest and I am on the mend! Yay!

I think the antibiotics did the trick and I will be glad when this infection is over with so I can stop taking all meds. It's really not my style! But this morning I had enough energy to shower and I am even eating a little oatmeal. Yes!!!

I am still a little bit weak, so I had to forgo the trip to San Diego I was planning on doing this weekend, which bums me out. But I'd rather not be a lame party pooper if I take a turn for the worst. Thanks to all the friends that have prayed for me! You are a blessing to me!

No comments: