Saturday, January 2, 2010

First Day of the Year 2010

I woke up unexpectedly early this morning. I decided to make an early start to getting healthier this year by going to the gym. In the last few months I have walked along Hermosa and Manhattan Beaches as my exercise, but lately that has become boring since I usually walk alone. I went to the gym and worked 45 minutes on the elyptical and then I did some ab and arm work, as well as some side lunges with 8lb. weights in each hand. Usually I feel those lunges the next day!

I got an invitation from Nicole to go to Long Beach and take a trip on her parent's yacht. I thought it wasn't a bad way to start the new year, so I met her at her place with a few others and we drove to Nicole's parents house. It didn't take us long to be on our way, traveling on the top deck the entire way to Palos Verdes, where Nicole and her dad, Ron, pointed out the house that Nicole had grown up on. What a view they had!

Here's Ron piloting the yacht:
Here's Bryan enjoying the view:
From left to right: Nicole, Heather and me (Leslie is camera shy).

On the way there we got to see the beautiful dolphin play along the wakes and spotted seals liesurely rolling around in the water. It was amazing to witness the joy of nature up close.

When we got back, Nancy (Nicole's mom) had a meal ready for us. She cooked collard greens, black-eyed peas and rice, all items culturally symbolizing luck in the new year. The black-eyed peas were delightful!

After our meal, we all ventured over to the tennis courts where Bryan and Clag (Nicole's Uncle) played a few rounds of tennis. Turns out Clag used to be a tennis coach, and has coached some top athletes in his day. Of course, this skill did not prevent him from hitting a ball over the fencing which clocked me in the head! No damage done, except my bruised ego. Apparently my reflexes could use a tune up.

The gang, Nicole, Leslie, Bryan, Heather and I decided to go see Avatar at Long Beach Towne Center. Okay, everyone else decided and I was dragged along. I wasn't too interested in seeing the movie because the movie trailers did not really show what it was about and frankly I wasn't in the mood. But I rallied and even spent over an hour in line waiting for the movie to start, which I generally think is a crazy thing, but we got excellent seats.

The movie was excellent. The dialog was great, the plot was solid and the imagery was out of this world, literally! It's no wonder this was the most expensive movie ever made! I'm glad I was dragged to it. :)

Nicole dropped me off at my car and I drove home. I decided the last thing I wanted to do before midnight was to read the Word of God. This new year (and going forward) I want to include God in my daily life more than I have been. This is the scripture that stood out to me tonight:

Psalm 143:10-12

Teach me to do Thy will,
For Thou art my God.
Let Thy good Spirit lead
me to level ground.

For the sake of Thy name,
O Lord, revive me.
In Thy righteousness
bring my soul out of trouble.
And in Thy lovingkindness
cut off my enemies.
And destroy all those who
afflict my soul;
For I am Thy servant.

No comments: