Monday, January 11, 2010

Full Weekend

This weekend was pretty busy and very fun!

Friday night I met up with Leslie, Cori, Heather and Alice for dinner at RA (a sushi place) and then a movie. After dinner we had a little time before the movie so we went into Anthropologie because Heather had never been in one. Alice and I were getting silly, trying on various aprons and posing for goofy pictures.

I like Alice's pictures much better (she used props of a nice ceramic bowl and a wooden spoon) but I don't have any which is too bad. :)

We went to see the movie "Leap Year" which I wasn't too keen on seeing but it was a girl's night so of course we were going to go to a chick flick. The main character makes the right decision in not marrying her boyfriend of 4 years (because he only asks her to marry him in order to get an apartment) but then she ends up with the very rude Irishman that doesn't change into a nicer character as the movie progresses. She justifies his rude behavior by saying "you're just broken/wounded" but really how he treats her is not the way I want to be treated. She gives up her life in Boston for this man that is incapable of really showing how he feels and gives her a hard time about everything and she just goes along with that. It's not the "happy" ending I want, that is for sure.

I spent Saturday with my friend, Melissa, who had a long layover at L.A.X. I picked her up from the airport and we went to the Salk Creek Grille for lunch. They have the best sliders, not that I have had many, but they are mighty tasty! I just had that and a cup of soup because I wasn't super hungry. We then went to Best Buy which is close by so that I could get Turbo Tax and then we were off to Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf, which has much better coffee than Starbucks in my humble opinion. We took our coffee and headed back to my apartment to chat.

After I dropped Melissa off at L.A.X. so she could go through security and all that, I drove to Shelley's to hang out for a few hours. She was watching a latin america movie marathon that was on a certain channel so we were laughing about certain parts, and admiring certain dresses the women were wearing (these movies were made in the 40s and 50s).

Because I missed Saturday night service, I went to the 11 o'clock service on Sunday. I ran into Scotti (my sister, Erika's mother-in-law) so we sat together. Again the sermon was just what I needed--"Remembering is the first step to obedience." Chris Cannon talked about how we need faith to live out our daily lives and we first do that by 1) Leaving our old life behind, 2) Believing that God will do what he promises and 3) Being obedient to God. All three are toughies for me.

After church I met up with Alice to go for a walk. We walked from her place in So. Redondo to Hermosa Beach where we met up with her friend, Ravi, for lunch. We went to Scotty's on the Strand. We then walked Ravi to his car to discover that there was a fire nearby and the fire department had parked their ambulance right behind Ravi's car so he couldn't get out. After getting assurances from the parking lady, we decided to walk to Alice's apartment so that she could drive Ravi to his friends house and his friend would drive him back to his car later. Before heading over, however, Alice and Ravi wanted some pictures on Hermosa Pier.
After dropping Ravi off, Alice and I hung out for a little bit longer before I headed home. I am borrowing several books from Alice. I started one of the "Spa Girls" series which is called "Calm, Cool and Adjusted" which is pretty good so far. This is the fun, fluffy stuff I like to read on occassion. There are three books in the series. I also got two other more "serious" books to read as well. I generally like to alternate. Right now I am reading "Captivating: Unveiling the Mystery of a Woman's Soul" which is really good, but it's not the type of book you read straight through. I've been reading scripture in the morning and then reading several pages of the Captivating book. It is really meaty and most of the themes you've got to take time to think and pray about in order to absorb them.

No comments: